Sunday, August 1, 2010

I Love to See the Temple

I love to see the temple.
I’m going there someday
To feel the Holy Spirit,
To listen and to pray.
For the temple is a house of God,
A place of love and beauty.
I’ll prepare myself while I am young;
This is my sacred duty.

I love to see the temple.
I’ll go inside someday.
I’ll cov’nant with my Father;
I’ll promise to obey.
For the temple is a holy place
Where we are sealed together.
As a child of God, I’ve learned this truth:
A fam’ly is forever.

Young children have been encouraged to visit the temple grounds and touch the temple. President Thomas S. Monson once counseled, “As we touch the temple, the temple will touch us.”

Thomas S. Monson, “Finding Peace,” Liahona, Mar 2004, 3
"As a loving teacher guided a boy or girl to the large door of the Salt Lake Temple and the little one reached out and up to touch the temple, I could almost see the Master welcoming the little children to His side and could almost hear His comforting words: 'Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.'”
Amy & Emily touch the temple.
After the Salt Lake Temple was completed, two boys brought their younger brothers to the temple so they could touch the walls. “We want them to know how great the temple is,” one of the older brothers says in the play. “Yes,” the other boy says, “so they’ll want to go inside when they get big! They knew that just as they could touch the temple, the Spirit inside the temple could touch them, too.

“I Love to See the Temple,” New Era, Dec. 2009, 38:

“I have been inspired by the temple all my life,” says Caitlen Christensen, 16, of the Rockledge Ward in the Cocoa Florida Stake. “When I was younger the Salt Lake Temple was being updated. I was upset because I was unable to see it up close. All I wanted was to touch it. We asked a missionary there and got permission to get close enough to touch it. I had no idea why this was so important to me then; now I know. I know that Christ dwells in the temples and the action of me touching it gave me the feeling that I was touching Christ himself, like the woman who knew she would be healed if she just touched His robe."


To learn more about Mormon temples, click here.

Last Monday, our weekly Family Home Evening lesson focused on temples.  It was decided that we ought to make a family trip to the London temple (as we haven't been in a while...)  Matt took the girls around the temple grounds where they were able to touch the temple, feed ducks, enjoy a picnic lunch and play with the interactive displays at the Visitor's Centre.  After I finished a session, we re-grouped and watched the new Joseph Smith film at the Visitor's Centre.  It was an amazing account of the prophet's life!  (ie I cried a lot).

My family is my greatest joy and blessing.  I really appreciated the opportunity to be at the temple this past weekend and to reflect on the more important things in life.

2 comments:

  1. Love the change in the blog, it's like rearranging furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lana, do you know that I do not enter the temple without thinking of the shower experience you had in the Preston temple. I know I should be thinking more spiritual things, but it puts a smile on my face every time.

    ReplyDelete